home tutorials features parties custom orders

Saturday, January 17, 2015

A sewVery Simple Fabric Coaster Tutorial

Sometimes you just need to do a little sewing that's not complicated and can produce quick results. These sewVery Simple Fabric Coasters were the result of one such day for me! I sewed up a couple of sets--one to give as a gift and one to keep--and have thoroughly enjoyed using them ever since.


All you need to make your own are a few items you probably already have lying around in the sewing room and my sewVery Simple Fabric Coaster Tutorial:


  • some small fabric pieces or scraps, batting, and a 1/4 yard or less of non-skid fabric
  • rotary pinking shears (or regular pinking shears)
  • cutting mat
  • ruler
  • hexagon template (I downloaded my free template from www.patchworkposse.com)


That's it! Amazingly simple and fun to sew. I plan to keep a few sets of these on hand to give as gifts. 

The non-skid fabric keeps the coaster from slipping or sliding all over the table or countertop, and the fact that there are no finished edges to fuss with makes them simple enough for even a child to sew. 


It was fun playing around with different quilting options on this set, and I even tried out the free motion quilting foot to easily quilt the circular design. 

Have FUN sewing!

3 comments:

  1. Cute coasters! And I like they have the nonskid backing. I've got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for later today that links to your tutorial:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-simple-hexagon-fabric-coasters/2015/01/17/
    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veronica, your coasters are so clever!! I'm going to do QAYG and I'm loving that you pinked the edges!!! :)
    The non skid is a great idea, too :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!